The following organizations provide legal representation, mediation and arbitration services for Wisconsin residents. Some services are restricted to low-income individuals.
- Free Legal Answers - Wisconsin (American Bar Association)
Free to Wisconsin residents. Ask your legal question online and volunteer attorneys may answer your question through the website.
- Community Justice Incorporated
A law firm that represents low-income individuals and families involved in landlord/tenant, disability and mental health, employment, family, child welfare, education, discrimination, consumer/credit, land use, environmental issues.
- Economic Justice Institute (UW Law School)
Home to the law school's legal assistance programs:
- Consumer Law Clinic
- Family Court Assistance Project
Provides legal information, forms and guidance to self-representation litigants involved in family court-related issues, including temporary restraining orders.
- Immigrant Justice Clinic
- Neighborhood Law Project
Provide representation in landlord-tenant, public benefits, and wage and hour cases.
- Legal Action of Wisconsin
Provides civil legal services for WI low-income persons. Assists people with legal issues involving divorce, child custody/support, domestic violence, elder abuse, health care, Medicare, Social Security, public benefits, employment, guardianship, migrant workers, landlord/tenant, and more. Offices in Green Bay, La Crosse, Madison, Milwaukee, Oshkosh, and Racine.
- Modest Means Program (State Bar of Wisconsin)
Part of the State Bar's Lawyer Referral and Information Service. Assists people whose income is too high to qualify for free legal services, but too low to pay a lawyer’s standard rate.
- Wisconsin Judicare
Serves low-income people in 33 northern counties of WI. Handles cases involving bankruptcy, social security and SSI, family law, health, housing, income maintenance, wills, and Indian law.
- Consumers' Guide to Legal Help (American Bar Association)
Guide to legal resources available in your state.
- Lawyer Lookup (WI Court System)
- State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service
- State Public Defender Attorney Directories
- Law & Entrepreneurship Clinic (UW Law School)
Provides legal services to entrepreneurs and small business owners.
- American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin
Selects cases which are believed to have the greatest impact on protecting civil liberties in Wisconsin.
Legal information and assistance with discrimination related to sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and HIV status.
- Benefit Specialists (WI Dept. of Health Services)
- Greater Wisconsin Agency on Aging Resources
- Coalition of WI Aging Groups, Elder Law Center
- Upper Midwest Pension Rights Project
- Senior Law (Legal Action of
Open to Milwaukee County residents over the age of 60 who have questions related to their public benefits or have legal issues involving elder rights, consumer scams or housing.
- Prescription Drugs
Health & Disabilities
- ABC for Health, Inc
Legal staff may help you "challenge health insurance claim denials, negotiate with creditors, and represent you in appeals before government agencies."
- AIDS Resource Center
of Wisconsin Legal Services
Attorneys who specialize in the complex legal issues associated with HIV/AIDS including confidentiality, disability benefits, power of attorney for health care, bankruptcy, wills and guardianships. Represents and counsels people regardless of their ability to pay.
- Aging and Disability Resource Center
Disability Benefit Specialists assist individuals between the ages of 18 and 59 who have physical disabilities, developmental disabilities, mental health issues and/or substance abuse issues
- Disability Benefit Specialist Program (WI Dept. of Health Services)
- Disability Rights Wisconsin
Offers individual advocacy for people with developmental disabilities identified prior to age 22, mental illness who live in institutions or the community, or people with mental, physical, sensory or neurological disabilities who face discrimination, face barriers to independence, or lack need services due to their disability.
Military & Armed Forces
- See listings on our Military Law page.
- Legal Assistance Agencies by County (WI State Law Library)
- Directory of Self-Help Legal Resources in WI Counties (WI Court System)
- WI Law Libraries Open to the Public (LLAW)
Wisconsin Legal Aid Initiatives
- WI Access to Justice Commission
Supports the provision of civil legal services to Wisconsin low-income residents.
Recommended links from our County Resources database:
- Community Immigration Law Center
Offers brief consultations on basic legal immigration issues on a first come, first serve basis. Case assessment and legal advice provided by our volunteer immigration lawyers. Assistance with immigration forms and fillings.
- Lawyer Referral and Information Service - Milwaukee Bar Association
Low-income and modest means legal assistance. Provides referrals to attorneys, mediators & other community resources. Attorneys are available for: bankruptcy, consumer law, corporation/partnership, criminal law, employment law, elder law, family law, immigration law, landlord/tenant, mediation, personal injury, probate, real estate, small claims, Social Security, taxation, wills, estate planning, and workers' compensation. The first half hour consultation with an attorney will cost $20 or less.
- Restorative Justice Project
(608) 262-2240 Provides mediation services between victims/survivors of crime and criminal offenders throughout the State of Wisconsin.
- Wisconsin Legal Assistance For Military Personnel
Legal help for service members, veterans, and their families.
- Community Immigration Law Center