Questions? Ask a Librarian
- Jurisdiction (Cornell Legal Information Institute)
Commentary with links to the U.S. Constitution, federal statutes & opinions
Jurisdiction: In Which Court Can I Sue the Defendant? (Nolo.com)
Overview of whether a court has power over a particular defendant.
Matter Jurisdiction: Which Court has Power to Hear My Case? (Nolo.com)
Overview of federal and state subject matter jurisdiction and dual jurisdiction.
The Law (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
- WI Constitution: Article VII "Judiciary"
- WI Statutes: Ch. 801 "Civil Procedure: Commencement of Action and Venue"
- WI Opinions
- On Point Case Summaries (2010-) (WI State Public Defender)
Search for more statutes, regulations & opinions.
Law Review Articles
- Determining Tribal Jurisdiction Over Non-tribe Members
81 Wis Lawyer 11 (Oct 2008)
- When is a Business a "Wisconsin Business"?
Wis Law Rev 2001.5 (Sept-Oct 2001)
- Civil Procedure Forms
- Federal Jurisdiction in a Nutshell
- Jurisdiction and Forum Selection
- Jurisdiction in Civil Actions: Territorial Basis and Process Limitations on Jurisdiction of State and Federal Courts
- Wisconsin Civil Procedure Before Trial