Public Lands / Land Patents
- Federal Land Patents (U.S. Bureau of Land Management)
Access federal land conveyance records for the public land states. Find federal land title records for the eastern public land states, including Wisconsin, issued from 1820 to 1908 and serial patents/land titles issued between 1908 and the mid 1960s. Survey plats, dating back to 1810, are available for some states.
- WI Board of Commissioners of Public Lands
Maintains a repository of land records, primarily from the 1800s, for lands granted to Wisconsin by the federal government. The collection includes land conveyance records and documents for the management and sale of the land to private parties. Includes original public land survey field notes and plat maps. Records are available for public inspection and use.
- Wisconsin Land Records Database
The Law (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
- WI Statutes: s. 14.14 "Patents to Railroad Lands"
- WI Statutes: ch. 24 sub. ch. I "Public Lands Administration"
- WI Statutes: s. 891.05 "Land Patents by State Officers"
- WI Attorney General Opinions
- U.S. Code: Title 43 "Public Lands "
Search for more statutes, regulations & opinions.