Questions? Ask a Librarian
Grandparent Rights & Responsibilities
- Grandparent Liability: Child Support Bulletin (WI Bureau of Child Support)
- Children living with relatives (USA.gov)
Includes benefits & assistance, health & safety resources, reports & publications, and state resources.
- Grandparents Raising Grandchildren (AARP)
- Wisconsin’s Legal Guide For Grandparents & Other Relatives Raising Children (AARP)
- Visitation by grandparents and other third parties (WI Legislative Council)
- Grandparent Visitation Opinion: No Requirement of Significant Triggering Event (WI Opinion: 2011 WI App 122)
The Law (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
- WI Statutes: s. 48.978 "Appointment or Designation of Standby Guardian of a Child"
- WI Statutes: s. 49.90 Grandchild Support: Grandparent Liability Law
- WI Statutes: s. 54.56 "Visitation by a Minor's Grandparents and Stepparents"
- WI Statutes: s. 767.43 "Visitation Rights of Certain Persons" (effective Jan. 1, 2007)
Sections of ch. 767 affected by 2005 Wis. Act 443 are available at the end of the Act PDF
- WI Statutes: s. 948.22 Failure to Support, Grandchild Support
Search for more statutes, regulations & opinions.
Recommended links from our County Resources database:
- Petition for grandparent visitation and third-party visitation rights (Waukesha Clerk of Court)
- Visitation Rights of Other Persons (Waukesha Clerk of Court)
- Child Custody & Visitation
- Child Support
- Children in Need of Protection (CHIPS)
- Legal Assistance
- Termination of Parental Rights (TPR)
Law Review Articles
- Grandparents need not establish a "significant triggering event" to assert visitation rights
State Bar News, August 5, 2011
- Survey of the Fifty States' Grandparent Visitation Statutes
10 Marquette Elder's Advisor 2 (2009)
- Advising Older Clients & Their Families
- Grandparents' Rights: Your Legal Guide to Protecting Your Relationship with Your Grandchildren
- Visitation by grandparents and other third parties