Questions? Ask a Librarian
Mining (Metallic and Nonmetallic)
- Agencies, Organizations, etc.
- Mining Safety and Health Administration
- U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Bureau of Land Management
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- WI Dept. of Natural Resources
Agency has primary responsibility for regulating environmental aspects of metallic mining in Wisconsin. Provides information on permitting process.
- WI Dept. of Safety and Professional Services
- Registration of Marketable Nonmetallic Mineral Deposit (WI Register of Deeds Assoc.)
- Statement of Mineral Claim (WI Register of Deeds Assoc.)
- Frac Sand Industry in Wisconsin (WI Towns Assoc.)
- Iron Mining in Wisconsin (WI Geological and Natural History Survey)
- Metallic Mining in Wisconsin - Overview (WI Dept. of Natural Resources)
- Mining in Wisconsin (UW-Madison Libraries)
- Non-metallic Mining in Wisconsin - Overview (WI Dept. of Natural Resources)
- Silica Sand Mining in Wisconsin (WI Dept. of Natural Resources)
- Silica Sand Resources (WI Geological and Natural History Survey)
The Law (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
- WI Statutes: ch. 70 "General Property Taxes"
- WI Statutes: 101.15 DSPS: Mines, Tunnels, Quarries and Pits
- WI Statutes: ch. 107 "Mining and Metal Recovery"
- WI Statutes: ch. 281 "Water Quality"
- WI Statutes: ch. 289 "Solid Waste Facilities"
- WI Statutes: ch. 293 "Metallic Mining"
- WI Statutes: ch. 295 "Nonmetallic Mining Reclamation"
- WI Statutes: ch. 779 sub. ch. III "Mining Liens, etc."
- WI Admin. Code: ch. DWD 82 "Mining Damage Claims"
- WI Admin. Code: DWD 270.12(8) & (20) "Child Labor: Hazardous Occupations Prohibited to all Minors"
- WI Admin. Code: ch. NR 100-860 "Environmental Protection"
- WI Admin. Code: ch. SPS 308 "Mines, Pits and Quarries"
- WI Admin. Code: SPS 308.13 "Fees: Mines, Pits and Quarries"
- U.S. Code: 30 USC "Mineral Lands and Mining"
- U.S. Code: 43 USC 299 "Reservation of Coal and Mineral Rights"
- CFR: 30 C.F.R. "Mineral Resources"
- Zwiefelhofer v Town of Cooks Valley (WI Supreme Court)
Search for more statutes, regulations & opinions.
Recommended links from our County Resources database:
- Mining Exploration (Oneida County Clerk)
Law Review Articles
- Local Ordinance Regulating Nonmetallic Mining Not Subject to County Approval
WisBar News, February 8, 2012
- Addressing public concerns with Wisconsin's laws governing metallic mining
- Beyond the fracking wars : a guide for lawyers, public officials, planners, and citizens
- Frac sand mining rights
- How the Department of Natural Resources regulates metallic mining
- Iron mining and frac sand
- Permitting process for a metallic mineral mine
- Proceedings of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Annual Institute
- Regulation of Metallic Mining in Wisconsin