Questions? Ask a Librarian
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
Complaint referral service which directs people to the appropriate agency/office for their complaint; offers advice on Getting Uncle Sam to Enforce Your Rights. Includes publications concerning civil rights and education, employment, housing, immigration, voting, etc.
- U.S. Dept. of Justice, Civil Rights
Provides answers to frequently asked questions about discrimination, cases & briefs filed by the Division, and information about discrimination-related topics. Access various Division sections such as: Criminal, Disability Rights, Educational Opportunities, Employment Litigation, Housing & Civil Enforcement, Voting, etc.
- U.S. Commission on Civil Rights
- Civil Rights (Cornell Legal Information Institute)
Commentary with links to the U.S. Constitution, federal statutes, regulations & opinions.
- Civil Rights Bureau (WI Dept. of Workforce Development)
Programs & information on discrimination in employment, housing, and post secondary education; discrimination by public places of accommodation or amusement; the Family Medical Leave Act; harassment in the workplace; retaliation protection for reporting or filing a complaint or for reporting violations.
- Constitutional Amendments
Amendment (Cornell Legal Information Institute)
Commentary with links to U.S. Constitution 1st & 14th amendments and federal opinions.
Includes all U.S. Supreme Court opinions involving the First Amendment. Search by case name, year, or topic. Access court documents & related materials from the 2000-2001 Supreme Court term to the present, including: status of petition, briefs, oral arguments, lower court opinions, news, analysis, etc.
- Reporters Committee for Freedom of
Nonprofit which provides free legal assistance to journalists. Website also provides access to news releases on civil liberties and the press.
- Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of Free Expression
- Wall of
Separation [Between Church and State] (Library of Congress)
Commentary on Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists in which he used the now-famous phrase "separation between Church & State."
- First Amendment (Cornell Legal Information Institute)
Protection (Cornell Legal Information Institute)
Commentary with links to U.S. Constitution 14th amendment and federal opinions.
Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: Civil Rights
The 14th amendment extended liberties and rights granted by the Bill of Rights to former slaves. View images of the document and learn more about this amendment.
- Fourteenth Amendment: Rights Guaranteed Privileges and Immunities of Citizenship, Due Process and Equal Protection
- Equal Protection (Cornell Legal Information Institute)
- Court Decisions (for more decisions, see specific
amendments listed above)
Supreme Court Cases
List of landmark civil rights decisions involving religion, freedom of expression, private property, personal liberty, etc. Provides case names and annotations.
Supreme Court Landmark Decisions, 1856-1955 (Findlaw)
Full-text opinions & historical information related to landmark U.S. Supreme Court civil rights cases
- Landmark Supreme Court Cases
- Discrimination (Lawyers.com)
Topics include: Housing Discrimination, Disability Accommodation, Education Discrimination, Voting Rights, Criminal Rights Violations.
Publications of the United States Commission on Civil Rights (Thurgood
Marshall Law Library)
Locate publications by title, date or subjects such as ADA, education, election law, employment, hate crime, housing, immigration, law enforcement, migrant workers, minority owned businesses, etc.
- Historical Publications of the United States Commission on Civil Rights (Thurgood Marshall Law Library)
- Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights
Founded in 1963, the Committee is dedicated to protecting the rights of the poor and racial minorities. Sites provides information on voting rights, employment rights, education and housing, hate crimes, etc
The Law (Additional statutes, regulations & opinions may apply to your specific situation.)
- WI Constitution
- WI Admin. Code: DWD 218-225 "Civil Rights"
- U.S. Constitution
- U.S. Code: 18 USC 241-248 "Civil Rights"
- U.S. Code: 42 USC 1981-2000 "Civil Rights"
- CFR: 45 CFR 701-708 "Commission on Civil Rights"
Search for more statutes, regulations & opinions