U.S. Supreme Court case law, federal law, and state laws are listed as resources in this abortion legal research guide.
Ask a Question
I'm under the age of 18, do I need my parent's consent to have an abortion?
The publication National Survey of State Laws (available in HeinOnline) includes detailed information on parental consent laws by state. Ask a librarian for help accessing this book. The website, Reproductive Rights.gov is a resource for information on access to and coverage of reproductive health care and services.
- WI Statutes: s. 20.927-20.9275 Abortion Subsidies & Funding Prohibited
- WI Statutes: s. 48.375 "Parental Consent Required Prior to Abortion; Judicial Waiver Procedure"
- WI Statutes: ch. 253 "Maternal and Child Health"
- WI Statutes: s. 809.105 "Appeals in Proceedings Related to Parental Consent Prior to Performance of Abortion"
- WI Statutes: s. 895.037 "Abortions On Or For a Minor Without Parental Consent or Judicial Waiver"
- WI Statutes. s. 895.038 "Partial-birth Abortions, Liability"
- WI Statutes: s. 940.04, 940.13, 940.15, 940.16 Abortion
- WI Statutes: Subject index listings for "Abortion"
- U.S. Code: 18 USC 248 "Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances"
- U.S. Code: 42 USC 300a-6 "Prohibition Against Funding Programs Using Abortion as Family Planning Method"
- U.S. Code: 42 USC 300a-7 "Sterilization or Abortion"
- Roe v. Wade, 314 F.Supp. 1217
- Roe v. Wade, 410 U.S. 113
- Planned Parenthood of Southeastern Pennsylvania v. Casey, 505 U.S. 833
- Dobbs v. Jackson Women's Health Organization (slip opinion)
- Abortion Certification Statements (Wisconsin Department of Health Services)
- Juvenile Ch. 48 Forms (WI Court System)
Includes parental consent waivers for abortion.
- Reproductive Rights.gov
Information on access to and coverage of reproductive health care and resources.
- Abortion (Medline Plus)
- Developments in Constitutional Law: Abortion (WI Legislative Council, July 2022)
- Abortion Laws in Wisconsin (WI Legislative Reference Bureau, 2015)
- Abortion - Wisconsin Criminal Jury Instruction 1125 (Revised 2006)
- Timeline of abortion laws in Wisconsin (WI Alliance for Women's Health)
- Reported Induced Terminations of Pregnancy, 1998- (WI Dept. of Health Services)
- Reproductive Health Data and Statistics (CDC)
Library books & articles
- Abortion Laws in Wisconsin
- Developments in Constitutional Law: Abortion
- New law expanding requirements for informed consent for abortion : (1995 Wisconsin Act 309)
KFW2418.L43 1995-96 IM 96-8
- Pregnancy-related legislation enacted by the 1985-86 Wisconsin Legislature
- Wisconsin Pleading and Practice, vol. 6, sec. 50:16, Parental Consent Prior to the Performance of an Abortion
KFW2930 .A65 B725
Law Review Articles
- 50 Years of Precedent: Will Roe v. Wade be overturned? (HeinOnline Blog, 2022)
Includes search tips and links to some recent articles.
- Abortion Convictions before Roe
36 Issues L. & MED. 77 (2021).
- The Abortion Closet (with a Note on Rules and Standards)
35 Colum. J. Gender & L. 161 (2017). Available on Westlaw and HeinOnline
- Constitutional Law - Abortion - Seventh Circuit Deems Wisconsin and Illinois Partial-Birth Abortion Bans Enforceable in Certain Circumstances
Harvard L. Rev. 113:6 (April 2000) p1545-1550
- The Jurisprudence of Uncertainty: Knowledge, Science, and Abortion
2018 Wis. L. Rev. 317 (2018). Available on Westlaw and HeinOnline
- Race-ing Roe: Reproductive Justice, Racial Justice, and the Battle for Roe v. Wade
134 HARV. L. REV. 2025 (2021).