County Legal Resources
Information by County
Legal Assistance Organizations
- Aging and Disability Resource Center
- Free Legal Answers Wisconsin
Free to Wisconsin residents. Ask your legal question online and volunteer attorneys may answer your question through the website provided by the American Bar Association.
(800) 472-1638 Legal assistance for low-income individuals. Handles cases involving bankruptcy, social security and SSI, family law, health, housing, income maintenance, wills, and Indian law.
- Lac Du Flambeau Domestic Abuse Program
Assist individuals in obtaining TRO/Injunctions in domestic abuse cases, and attend court proceedings with victims.
- Lawyers for Learners
Lawyers for Learners partners with colleges across Wisconsin to connect students and community members with free legal help. Virtual or in-person help may include criminal background and arrest records; records from civil and municipal court proceedings, such as retail theft citations and debt judgments; driver’s license recovery; rental housing issues; child support and family law issues; expungement, unemployment compensation, foreclosure, bankruptcy, victim of crime issues and consumer law. Fill out the form on their website to request an appointment.
- LIFT Wisconsin
Provides a legal tune up tool to search public data and help users resolve civil legal issues, fill out forms, and resolve issues with background check, criminal court records, and eviction court records.
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinics
Provides appointment-based services (some statewide) for nonprofit and small business help, adult guardianship, pardons, civil, and family issues. Some services may only be available in Milwaukee.
- State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service
Request a referral to a Wisconsin attorney by calling (800) 362-9082.
- Tri-County Council on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault, Inc.
(800) 236-1222 or (715) 362-6841 Provides shelter, crisis intervention, and support services for victims of domestic abuse and sexual abuse and their families.
- Tri-County Foreclosure Mediation Program
(715) 369-6240 Assists homeowners facing a mortgage foreclosure action in Forest, Vilas, and Oneida Counties. Mediation is a confidential and voluntary process where the homeowner and the lender seeking to foreclose may discuss ways to resolve the foreclosure case, including reinstatement of the loan and modification of the loan terms.
- Victim/Witness Assistance Program
(715) 479-3614 Provides assistance, support and notification services to crime victims and witnesses in exercising their rights throughout the prosecution of criminal and juvenile cases.