County Legal Resources
Information by County
Legal Assistance Organizations
- Aging and Disability Resource Center
- CAP Services
(800) 472-3377 Assistance for low-income individuals undergoing a family crisis and victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence.
- Foreclosure Mediation Program
Assists homeowners facing a mortgage foreclosure action in Waupaca County. Mediation is a confidential and voluntary process where you and the lender seeking to foreclose on your home may discuss ways to resolve your foreclosure case, including reinstatement of the loan and possible modification of the loan terms.
- Free Legal Answers Wisconsin
Free to Wisconsin residents. Ask your legal question online and volunteer attorneys may answer your question through the website provided by the American Bar Association.
(800) 472-1638 Legal assistance for low-income individuals. Handles cases involving bankruptcy, social security and SSI, family law, health, housing, income maintenance, wills, and Indian law.
- Lawyers for Learners
Lawyers for Learners partners with colleges across Wisconsin to connect students and community members with free legal help. Virtual or in-person help may include criminal background and arrest records; records from civil and municipal court proceedings, such as retail theft citations and debt judgments; driver’s license recovery; rental housing issues; child support and family law issues; expungement, unemployment compensation, foreclosure, bankruptcy, victim of crime issues and consumer law. Fill out the form on their website to request an appointment.
- Legal Research, Appleton Public Library
(920) 832-6173 Provides access to Westlaw on one computer and a collection of law-related books, including titles published by the State Bar of Wisconsin.
- LIFT Wisconsin
Provides a legal tune up tool to search public data and help users resolve civil legal issues, fill out forms, and resolve issues with background check, criminal court records, and eviction court records.
- Marquette Volunteer Legal Clinics
Provides appointment-based services (some statewide) for nonprofit and small business help, adult guardianship, pardons, civil, and family issues. Some services may only be available in Milwaukee.
- State Bar of Wisconsin Lawyer Referral and Information Service
Request a referral to a Wisconsin attorney by calling (800) 362-9082.
- Victim/Witness Assistance Program
(715) 258-6445 Provides assistance, support and notification services to crime victims and witnesses in exercising their rights throughout the prosecution of criminal and juvenile cases.